Friday, January 25, 2008

Waldo's Hawaiian Holiday


This is a just completed pinup for 'Waldo's Hawaiian Holiday', the graphic novel sequel to the 80's cult classic film, Repo Man.

The comic's written by Repo Man's writer and director Alex Cox with art by the briliant Chris Bones and Justin Randall. For more info, check details over at Gestalt Publishing's website.

Colour and designwise this was a bit of an experiment for me. At times I tend to be very literal with my choice of colours (pink skin, blue sky etc) and very conservative in my approach to design. So this time I tried to push myself further in both of those areas. Let me know if you think it works/doesn't work.

I was influenced by the comicbook work of Dave Johnson whose experimentation with design and colour is very inspiring.


---An important note regarding the blog feed--- On a different subject, it's been brought to my attention that there have been some problems with this blog's RSS feed and people not getting notified of my blog updates. The feed should now be getting automatically redirected to Feedburner and there are additional links to syndicated feeds at the bottom of the sidebar here on the blog. Let me know if you have any problems (unfortunately if you are you're probably not receiving this blog entry. Sigh)

21 Comments:

Blogger Gary Fitzgerald said...

nice design.
I like it.

5:32 AM  
Blogger MONROY said...

Very nice work! I like this blog. I´m a spanish illustrator!

Fer R Monroy

8:51 AM  
Blogger Chad H. said...

I like the new look of the site Chris. I've neglected my blog for a long time, due to other work. But yours is looking good. Gives me ideas. Keep up the awesome work!

10:55 AM  
Blogger AUTOTEC S.A said...

excelent work, i don't have words for this job

2:11 PM  
Blogger Anthony Francisco said...

Awesome stuff. Thanks man for taking the time to show your work and demos.

2:35 AM  
Blogger Gabriel Hunt said...

When I first saw this I thought it was a cover for 100 Bullets! So you've accomplished that Dave Johnson look, great job.

The red(bottom right) really competes with the blue though. Pulling you away from the focus of the piece. Having 2 primaries will do that. Changing it a warmer red, or orange will compliment the blue more, and add to the oranges you have already.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Chris Wahl said...

Thanks everyone!

Gaber- Thanks. You're right about the red. Originally I had a large red area across the top to balance it out, but was hopeful that just the red crosshairs would do the job. I'll have to revisit it.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Chris Wahl said...

Based on Gaber's comments I've made some little changes to the piece. Earth has been made larger to cover some of the overpowering red and I think the larger Earth has also helped balance out the blue and green in the pic as well. Also, the red crosshairs have been made thicker to help distribute the red more across the piece.

3:09 PM  
Blogger dylan said...

That's Great Chris, very strong design. Ilike the new bg on the blog too.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Chris Wahl said...

Thanks Dylan!

12:56 PM  
Blogger Brandon said...

I can see the Dave Johnson influence here. Looks like the experiment worked pretty well, although I can see what Gaber's saying with the red. I'd love to see the revised piece.

2:24 AM  
Blogger Chris Wahl said...

Thanks Brandon

Unfortunately, this is the revised piece. It was a lot redder beforehand. It's obviously too red still, but I'm done with it.

9:53 AM  
Blogger 1 said...

neat design layout. Reminds me a little of Hawaii50. Fun piece :O)

8:57 PM  
Blogger Chris Wahl said...

Thanks Heather!

11:22 AM  
Blogger The Laughing Chimp said...

You mentioned this one was an experiment... dude, I wish my experiments turned out that good! Great artwork. I was just blown away by your blog.
Thanks for the nice comments on my stuff.
Keep those updates coming!

12:30 PM  
Blogger Chris Wahl said...

Thanks mate!

12:22 PM  
Blogger Andres said...

Amazing!
Very nice job and colour too!
give a look at my blog and give me your opinion...
Thanks
Andres

9:40 PM  
Blogger Chris Wahl said...

andres- Thanks! Such great work on your blog. I'm jealous!

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow such a great illustrations ,i wish you give me some advises to become like you, and what program do you use?thanks

10:55 AM  
Blogger Chris Wahl said...

Hi Fogan

Lots of practice is a good start. I've been drawing on and off for 25 years so there are no quick fixes to becoming better. Just hard (enjoyable) work.

Draw from life, draw from your favourite artists, buy some books on anatomy, start filling sketchbooks.

If you can't look at your older art without seeing mistakes then you're on the right track, as it means you're improving.


This was inked and pencilled by hand, scanned in and coloured in Photoshop.

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you mr.chris i really value your advise.

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © Chris Wahl 2019 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners